Since version 3.3.0 OJS has made changes to the naming of uploaded and downloaded files. Previously files uploaded in versions prior to 3.3.0 used the naming pattern:
For example (on 3.1.2-4 and 3.2.x):
In version 3.3.0 the naming of this file becomes: download.extension so for visitors this is difficult because every file will be downloaded with the same name.
For example, a visitor downloads an article with the title:
“Heuristic Judgment in Accounting” then the downloaded pdf file will become download.pdf.
Of course, this makes each article file that is downloaded is not unique, has no identity and it is not surprising that many OJS users in this version have complained about this.
In version 3.3.0-7 the changes to this naming become fileName.extension. It seems that after we read the discussion, we understand that this naming change is to make it easier to identify files without any numeric codes that make it difficult for users to recognize files.
The naming convention on the later OJS version as planned on 3.3.1 as on this discussion will be as following :
However, because users are used to versions before 3.3, many users complain about this new naming standard as can be seen in the following discussion:
Just as many OJS users complain about changes to the file convention naming pattern, we also receive a lot of complaints from our clients after we have upgraded their OJS although we have explained this is caused by the new OJS file name convention. Apparently, the naming standard provides instructions for easy organization and tracking of the article process.
Until this article was written there was no patch or alternative method so that this naming standard could be re-applied. To overcome this, our team created a free plugin that will make it easier for you to restore the naming feature as before.
Download the plugin by filling up this form :
Installation steps :
- After you have downloaded the plugin
- Upload the plugin from the admin dashboard Website Settings -> Plugins -> Upload a New Plugin or unpack the archive into the plugins/generic/ folder.
- Activate the plugin from the dashboard.
If you want to receive notifications for content like this or related to information on academic repositories (OJS, OMP, DSpace, Eprint) including free plugins that we release, make sure you subscribe to our mailing list here:
- The blog post is not an official statement from PKP, it is merely our opinion
- This plugin does not make changes to the filenames uploaded on the server / via OJS
- The plugin only handles the front end of your OJS while the backend file name follows as provided by the OJS system.
- This plugin only changes the name of the downloaded file, not the original file on the server.
- This plugin has been tested on OJS versions 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168