In the digital era that continues to grow, the use of information and communication technology has become an important key in running various sectors, including the health sector. At the Indonesian Ministry of Health, the Eprints system has become a tool that plays an important role in supporting the exchange of knowledge and management of information in the health sector. In this article, we will explore how we can maximize the Eprints system in the Indonesian Ministry of Health to increase the efficiency and accessibility of information.
In this case, one of our customers, the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia, had quite a complex problem with their Eprints platform, on their previous ePrints site there were several fatal problems that could affect the performance of their ePrints repository system, even though they had used other service providers, they can’t fix their problem. Previously they tried to do a fix, but this still didn’t solve their problem. Apart from that, they also asked us to do some customization related to the fields in their eprints system to suit the needs of the repository data input process.
About Health development policy agency of the Indonesian Ministry of Health
On March 17, 2021 President Joko Widodo signed Presidential Regulation (Perpres) Number 18 of 2021 concerning the Ministry of Health. The issuance of this Presidential Decree is a follow-up to the stipulation of Presidential Decree Number 113/P of 2019 concerning the Establishment of State Ministries and Appointment of State Ministers in the Advanced Indonesian Cabinet for the 2019-2024 period. This is also to implement the provisions of Article 11 of Law Number 39 of 2008 concerning State Ministries.
As stipulated in the Perpres, one of the functions carried out by the Ministry of Health is the formulation, determination, and implementation of policies in the fields of public health, disease prevention and control, health services, pharmacy, medical devices, and health workers. Thus, there will no longer be a research and development function that has been attached to the Ministry of Health through the organizational unit of the Health Research and Development Agency (Litbangkes).
They came to us and consulted intensively about the problem of their eprints repository site which had several problems.
After we tested it, we found that this repository site had a problem with the eprints system itself, not a problem with the server. This problem is very crucial for both visitors to the eprints repository site and authors. Authors never know whether their submission was included in the conference or not because they can never make it to the front page.
Fortunately, at openjournaltheme, we have a team that is reliable and experienced in the field of eprints repositories, so we can solve problems with various approaches. we have a diverse team of specialists, server specialists, coding specialists and eprints specialists. After conducting our research, this article will explain our findings.
Detail Eprints problem
- Problem search feature
- Problem Email workflow
- Problem Indexer on eprints
- Problem detail view
- ProblemLogin system
- Upgrade eprint 184.108.40.206 to 3.4.4
- Eprints Migration – Make sure, everything works
- Eprints SSL Integration
- Separation of Categorization settings
- Categorization settings – Added custom item type
- Customize current theme – Support eprints 3.4.x
- Customize current – Responsive mobile
- Customize current – Free bugs test
- Customize current – Secure theme
- Configuration and integration Statistics
How are we fixing the problem ?
Fixing error on eprints 3.3.16
Before we did the upgrade, we confirmed and repaired the eprints system so that when we did the upgrade there were no problems when the eprints repository system was running.
After we made sure everything was running well on eprints 3.3.16 we did the upgrade process on our staging server, for the upgrade process from version 3.316 to 3.4.x it took at least 1-2 days, in this process we didn’t encounter any significant problems, we just need to make adjustments.
Customize item type
In this project the Ministry of Health asked us to do some customization related to the item type in the input data type section, at this stage we made adjustments to the division section according to their needs in displaying relevant data according to their website visitors.
Because basically the structure of the eprint system is different between versions 3.3x and 3.4.x, the custom themes contained in the previous version of eprints must be customized so that the theme can run well on version 3.4.x. In this customization process we made several adjustments to several display pages such as the article detail page, admin page and browse page. In the customize process, it also makes several improvements related to the responsiveness of the mobile display.
Setup statistics on eprints
We setup and integrate statistics features to display the number and details of visitors for each article or the entire repository. We also make sure the statistics system runs well for the long term.
We setup email on the eprints client server, after the email setup process on the server is complete, we also ensure that the email system runs according to the workflow and we also ensure that emails sent by the eprints system do not enter spam when the email is received by the client.
Automatic daily backup
To anticipate the worst possible scenario for this eprint system, we also integrate a backup system that can automatically back up to the cloud server every day.
Why does a stable eprints version with great performance matter for your repository ?
A stable version of Eprints with great performance is important for your repository for several reasons:
- Reliable Access to Content: Stable versions of Eprints ensure that your repository remains accessible to users without unexpected downtime or technical issues. Users, whether researchers, students or the general public, rely on your repository to access valuable scholarly content. Consistent uptime and smooth performance increase user trust and satisfaction.
- Preservation of Intellectual Results: Repositories serve as important archives for academic and research results. Stable versions of Eprints help preserve this valuable content over time, ensuring that the material remains available and accessible to future generations. By preventing data corruption or loss, stable versions protect the intellectual heritage contained in your repository.
- Positive User Experience: The high-performance version of Eprints provides a positive user experience by enabling faster search, retrieval, and navigation through your repository content. Users can quickly find the information they need, increase their engagement with the platform and encourage them to come back in the future.
- Efficient Workflow for Repository Managers: The stable version of Eprints streamlines the workflow for repository managers and administrators. This reduces the time and effort required to address technical issues, allowing them to focus on improving content curation, metadata quality, and other critical tasks that increase the overall value of a repository.
- Scalability and Future Growth: As your repository content grows, stable versions of Eprints ensure that the platform can scale effectively without sacrificing performance. Whether you’re hosting a simple institutional repository or a large-scale national repository, the stable version can accommodate your needs and support future expansion.
- Security and Data Protection: And most importantly stable versions of Eprints are often supplemented with regular security updates, ensuring that vulnerabilities are addressed promptly. It protects your repository data from potential cyber threats and unauthorized access, maintaining the confidentiality and integrity of the content.
There are lots of very positive things, when you decide to upgrade to the latest version whether it’s bug fixes, performance improvements and eprints system security improvements. To see details, you can visit the following link: https://wiki.eprints.org/w/EPrints_3.4.5
In conclusion, a stable Eprints version with great performance is essential for the success of your repository, and fixing bugs is a crucial aspect of maintaining that stability. It ensures an enhanced user experience, uninterrupted accessibility, data integrity, efficient repository management, a positive reputation, and active community engagement. By addressing and resolving bugs promptly, you create a reliable, user-friendly, and trustworthy platform that serves the scholarly community effectively and fosters continuous improvement.
Eprints repository service
If you feel that handling such a technical issue is not necessary and need a dedicated team to handle all the technical things.
We have a service that specifically handles a repository platform that is custom your eprint repository,Hosting eprints, fixing your eprints repository and upgrading eprint for you to be able to manage the platform easier without needing detailed technical debt/maintenance, read the details here : https://openjournaltheme.com/eprints-repository