It is nice to know that the OJS version is always improved from version 1 to version 3. The majority of the user of OJS 3 is using version 3 that is not the latest version, as OJS administrator we need to update the OJS as it released. By using the latest version of OJS, our site would become faster, secure, and can utilize many of the new features.
The latest version of OJS right now can be downloaded here. Using the latest version of OJS is highly recommended because it always reported by the user that the previous version that released by PKP has many bug and security hole. Please download the OJS only from the official link from PKP.
However, if you need to use the features that already developed by the OJS team let us upgrade the OJS version from the previous version to the latest one. If you are curious about the bugfix and the new features, you can check the list here.
Before you initiate the upgrade process please backup your OJS sites and database to the external drive.
We don’t provide any guarantee or responsibility of the result of the OJS upgrade
OJS upgrade should be done by a professional and experienced since failed upgrade can make your OJS and its database corrupted
- Backup your current OJS file and the database, download it, and keep it if on the process it gets failed.
- Increase the PHP max_execution_time and Apache/Nginx TimeOut set it 2 hours. Restart both your web server and PHP service
- Increasing the PHP and Webserver parameter cannot be done on OJS that using a hosting account.
Upgrading OJS 3 to the latest version
1. Download the New OJS version package from this link
2. Upload the downloaded file to your server name the folder OJS_New
3. Copy this file/folder from the previous OJS version (previous) to the new version (OJS_New)
4. Enter your OJS 3.1.2 folder find the config.inc.php file. Change installed config in the config.inc.php file
From On to Off
5. Access your OJS site with your browser and find the section shown in the image below then clicks the word on the yellow highlight :
Next, you need to confirm upgrade action by clicking the button as shown below :
Wait until finished.
- Return the configuration on the config.inc.php file to On again.
If you are using our Professional Academic Pro Theme or another theme you may find that your site would look messy after the upgrade process.
Your OJS index site would be get messed. ?
No, I am kidding.
Fix the theme Appearance
We would fix the theme since the new upgrade not recognize the cache of your template.
- Log in to your administrator
- Access Dashboard
- Download the theme (make sure it is the right version – Academic Pro theme version 2.+)
- Place the folder as you previously downloaded to the /plugins/themes/academic_pro.zip
- Extract there
- Enable the theme on the dashboard – plugins – theme section
- Select the theme on the Appearance page.
- Just click the Save button on the appearance page after the theme is selected.
- Refresh your journal index page and see the result
Congrat: We had finished the upgrade process.
OJS Upgrade Services by openjournaltheme
If you need a more professional and experienced team to implement this upgrade, we provide service to implement this upgrading service. By using our service many of the data will pertain, the process will be done with multiple checks, the DOI record will not get changed. Please check the below link for more detailed information about our service :
openjournaltheme have a few standards in the process of upgrade the site by implementing a staging process and Creating a backup of your current OJS to ensure that nothing goes wrong with your current OJS site.